Thursday, January 13, 2011

From X to Y




I’ve moved from a city of three million to a commune of some 16 thousand, from South to North, from the continent called Africa to the one called Europe. From being an anthropology student to studying photography, from being one of 23 500 students to being one out of 70. From a flat with a garden to a room in a res, from a relationship to single, from eating sushi and Indian to rye-bread and berries. From summer to winter, from rainbow to monochrome, from being by two oceans to being by a lake. From thinking in English to thinking in Finnish. From wearing a hat to wearing a beanie.


I’d say I am going through a reverse cultural shock if the inner anthropologist in me wouldn’t scream against using the word ‘culture’ (hah hah). In other words, I've been more prepared to adapt for the new than to re-boot my system for the old.

Puzzled; I’m trying to sand the sharpest edges, trying to find a balance. I’ve been looking for an adventure and starting to realise life is one.

I think I need more than few months to process this. Tough nuts.

No comments: