Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Exotic Finland



Funny. Finland seems more exotic than I have thought. I'm in the forest, and I'm not alone. Look, a woodpecker! Look, swans! Look, a pheasant cock! I'm mean, yeah. Not a big deal, ok, but I still get excited. Look, a bunch of big birds on the field! (...) No, I'm not very good with birds and my only guide book is for the birds of southern Africa.. That came in handy in Cape Town with my frequent visitors cape white eyes, but won't get me too far with big birds on the field in the Finnish countryside.

My nephew picked a book to read. It was a pocket guide to the mushrooms of Finland and my job was to read out loud. I might have even learned something on the go.

I should have a better understanding of my surroundings. Let's work on that.

No comments: