Saturday, March 19, 2011

Amateur in the darkroom

The scanner does evil things to my photos. Decided to share them anyway as it was so much fun to mess around in the darkroom. These are my first tests from this week -the last and only time I've been before was some ten years ago!

From the originals my favorite is that high-key photo of birds on cables, but in the scanned versions that's the one that suffered the most. I don't have any tools to retouch it on my own laptop as I seldom (well, never) bother to retouch anything I blogg (or in general, actually), but I'll tell you verbally that in the original the cables do continue smoothly to the borders of the photo and the sky only looses the flat gray shade faintly to the bottom end of the picture (so use your imagintaion, hah, this is the best I can do for now). All these pics were taken within an hour in a small village in the Finnish countryside where my school is, just before we went to develop the films, and the day was gray cloudy winter day. I had time to snap 17 photos in total. I'm quite very happy how they turned out. I'm loving this whole film and develop and wait and never know what comes out until it's actually on paper -thing, it must be some sort of a hangover of these digital times.

To be continued. I'll keep practising.

Now I'll head outdoors. It's yet another gray winterday awaiting for me! Or is that sun peeking behind the clouds? I'm going to find that out. Just one more thing: should I grab my digital camera with me or test out the old film one I got back to life yesterday with a new set of batteries?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the old one! :) Patricia

Unknown said...

The photos are great and so nice to read your blog, how come i never logged on to it before?
keep the pictures coming:) much love, Nicci.xx

Martta said...

Thanks for the vote, Patricia! I ended up taking both!

Thanks Nicci, happy you like it :-) Welcome again!

Happy to have you two here on the comments, is it a CPT invasion today or what? :-)