Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Nothing's a coincidence

And then, just like that when you least expect it, the world around you reshapes everything so beautifully that you couldn't have imagined it any better.

I had gone to the beach after 8am for some yoga. There was no one else except the man cleaning up the beach, me with my yoga mat and those gigantic seagulls starting out their daily croaks. I did few rounds of sun salutation and some breathing but the wind was blowing so hard I cut my session off short and walked back to the backpackers, nicely in time for the free breakfast.

She had seen him the day before at the backpackers and she knew immediately she'd travel with him. Then she left to stay over at her couchsurfing spot and the two of them decided to hook up again the next day. That's why she came back that morning. But he was running late and instead of just coming and going, she ended up having a seat at the roof top terrasse of the backpackers while he went to pack his bags. I had just thrown my yoga mat back in the room and climbed up the stairs to get the breakfast. With my toast and a cup of tea, I happened to sit next to her. We start chatting and -litterally- ten minutes later the decision is made: we'd be going to Morocco together. The next day. She said he had been a bit iffy about the plan she had come up with but now that we were two anyway, he'd propably make up his mind and join us.

We change numbers, he shows up and off they go. We plan to meet up the next day in Tarifa. At that point I send a little facebook message to my mom. It is Tuesday. I tell her how Cadiz is lovely and how it's so much better to be on the coast. Then I write I'm going to Morocco on the following day with my traveling buddies. I list their nationalities and her name (I doubt I even knew his by the time) and inform my mother I would be back in Spain the following week Tuesday.

The next day I take a bus ride to Tarifa and meet up with the two again. He's filling in the forms for his Moroccan visa, she has already completed hers. I start to work on mine, checking her already completed form while I go. Name, nationality. Passport number, all the usual stuff. Date of birth. Something on her form catches my eye and I re-study it and, in amazement, I turn to her. Are you born on that day, that month, that year?? She gives me this yes-have-you-got-a-problem-with-that-face and I manage to pronounce so am I before we both burst out laughing. We're born on the exact same day!

Few hours later we -me, my newly found twin-sister and junior- are on a ferry to Morocco. It doesn't happen eveyday you click with people so well as the three of us did. But it might happen at a backpackers in southern Spain one morning because you finished off your yoga because of the wind, because she needed to come to pick him up, because he was running late. And so the conditions were ideal to formulate the best trio ever.

There are no coincidences she says. World's a funny place I say. He gives us a grin.

So, would you go to Morocco with strangers?

No comments: